In This Section
Breastfeeding Peer Support Training
Three quarters of British mothers who stopped breastfeeding in the first 6 months (and 90% of those who stopped in the first 2 weeks) would have liked to have continued for longer.
NCT Breastfeeding Peer Support Training
Who we are
As the UK’s leading charity for parents, NCT supports thousands of people through the incredible life changing experience of pregnancy, birth and early parenthood.
All NCT work fits within the NICE, UNICEF and WHO guidelines for supporting breastfeeding.
NCT peer support training is delivered by NCT breastfeeding counsellors, qualified to diploma level, who have all breastfed their babies and are therefore peer supporters themselves.
We currently have over 300 counsellors across the UK, enabling us to offer you a service that is tailored to the needs of your area.
The Breastfeeding Peer Support Training is accredited by the National Open College Network.
In 2006 NCT was awarded three-years' funding by the Department of Health (England) for a project to train 240 peer supporters. The aim was to set up breastfeeding peer support training programmes that were responsive to local needs. The results were published in 2009 in the NCT breastfeeding peer support project.
Our training packages
Our comprehensive, evidence-based service includes:
- flexible programmes to work with local mothers and their specific experiences
- enabling supporters to develop parent centred listening skills
- specific sessions for local health professionals to facilitate close working relationships with peer supporters
- working in partnership with health professionals to deliver local services
- regular ongoing contact and support for peer supporters and health professionals
- access to a referral system for mothers who need further support via our national helpline and local breastfeeding counsellors
Breastfeeding Peer Support Training
Peer Support Training Package A
This package will help you to develop a breastfeeding peer support network in your area. Qualified NCT counsellors will implement a peer support project structure which can then be managed by local health professionals.
- selection of peer supporters
- dedicated training sessions for local health professionals
- 20 hours of training and six follow up sessions for support and supervision
- evaluation and monitoring of trainees resulting in certification
- development of group materials
Fees based on a minimum group of 10 peer supporters - please contact us for costs and to discuss your needs.
Peer Support Training Package B
This comprehensive package includes continued project management by qualified NCT counsellors and will enable you to develop a sustainable breastfeeding peer support network in your area.
As above plus:
trained peer supporters covered by NCT insurance policy
continued update and supervision sessions
continues support for the service from NCT as a national parenting organisation
Fees based on a minimum group of 10 peer supporters - please contact us for details and to discuss your needs.
There are numerous possibilities of career development pathways for peer supporters within the NCT structure including a Breastfeeding Counselling Foundation Degree and then a BA Honours degree to become a breastfeeding tutor. Both qualifications are through NCT College and are affiliated to the University of Worcester.
Our breastfeeding counsellors have completed a diploma, or foundation degree, in Breastfeeding Counselling through the University of Worcester (previously through the University of Bedfordshire). They have undertaken additional peer support training and their skills include supporting all parents in their feeding decisions, providing specialist help with breastfeeding and facilitating training sessions.
Working closely with local health professionals, NCT has delivered programmes across England. Examples include Brighton, Hampshire, Co Durham, Skipton, Malmesbury, Sheffield, London, Hertfordshire, Blackburn, Chatteris.