Each year in June we hold an annual meeting which is open to all the members of the Darlington and District Branch. An email is sent to invite you as a member detailing the time and the place. We would love for you to come along and help us to celebrate our successes, and make plans for the coming year. This years meeting went as follows:
NCT Darlington and District
Annual Branch Report 2015/2016
Success and challenges
This year as a branch we were proud to:
- Gain funding from Awards for All to run our Bumps and Babies Group
- Have had a successful volunteer recruitment campaign, leading to lots more new volunteers
- Retain many existing volunteers
- Run 2 very popular playgroups
- Have one of our volunteers, Natasha Tighe, win one of the volunteer Star Awards for her dedication to our Wednesday playgroup
- Run a new format Easter fundraiser as a Bunny Hunt
The biggest challenges we faced were:
- Funding the newsletter – we struggle to get enough advertisers
- Erratic attendance at Bumps and Babies – especially reaching out to pregnant women
- The capacity of the room and having enough volunteers to run our very popular Wednesday playgroup
- Having a regular social media presence
We successfully raised locally £8,999.77, with £3,023.67 being contributed to Head Office to help fund NCT’s work offering impartial information and support to parents through the NCT website, helpline and branches and campaigning to ensure better services and facilities for parents in their First 1,000 Days.
We spent £3,815.70 supporting parents locally, through our 2 playgroups and 1 Bumps and Babies group.
To make sure we keep our branch finances healthy in 2016/2017 we need to be careful of the amount of money we spend on:
- Newsletter that we publish 4 times a year.
- Need to watch the income of some of the groups to ensure they don’t go into deficit.
We have £489.60 in general reserve and £367.20 in restricted reserves (the Awards for All grant).
Every NCT branch is required to have a minimum number of volunteers. In our branch the core team are;
- Branch Coordinator Sarah Ellis (stepping down in July 2016 and to be replaced by Ruth Chapman and Tiffany Forster as Deputy)
- Treasurer Alison Stephenson (stepping down in July 2016 and to be replaced by Ruth Booth)
- Parent Support Coordinator Helen Lloyd (stepping down in July 2016)
- Membership Coordinator Samantha Goldberg-Booth
- PSA Link Helen Lloyd (stepping down in July 2016)
We welcomed 15 new volunteers to our branch team and said goodbye to Cat McConnachie, Lyn Hatch and Katie Kelly.
Thank you to everyone who has given their time and energy to the branch this year.
The current vacancies on our team are the soon to be vacant PSA Link and Parent Support Coordinator.
We plan to recruit new volunteers through further Facebook campaigns and via our branch groups
Plans for the future
In the coming year we would like to reach more parents by
- Establishing better links with midwives and health visitors through the Midwifery Services Liaison Committee (MSLC), having flyers for Bumps and Babies in all the post-natal packs, volunteers spending time on wards and in NHS antenatal classes
- Plan regular activities and events for Bumps and Babies to try to increase and maintain attendance
- Links through Kallikids who we have recently become accredited by
- Starting a peer supported breast feeding group
We hope to fund this by
- Running a successful NCT Jubilee event in July 2016
- Ongoing fundraising • Existing restricted reserves (Awards for All grant)
Volunteering for NCT is fun, flexible and family friendly! If you would like to get involved, we would love to hear from you. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information