What is a Peer Supporter?
A peer supporter provides encouragement to breastfeeding mothers (and their partners), promotes breastfeeding to expectant couples, and, most of all, listens in a mother-to-mother capacity. There is no physical contact with breastfeeding mothers, nor will you be in a position to give other than basic information. Any woman with a specific breastfeeding problem should be referred to a trained Breastfeeding Counsellor. Your role is primarily to listen and encourage.
If you had a positive experience of breastfeeding yourself, then this is a chance to help other women have the same experience.
What Do We Ask of You?
- You must have breastfed for a minimum of 3 months
- You must be available to attend classes on a weekday morning for 10 weeks
- You must be available to attend the 4 followup sessions (to be scheduled)
- You must be available to attend one Breast Friends Group per month in a breastfeeding peer supporter capacity
- A local mother who has had a positive experience of recent breast feeding.
- Able to work well in a team and be honest and trustworthy.
- A good communicator.
- Able to like people.
- A good listener.
- Able to keep confidentiality and recognise accountability.
- Caring and have a sense of humour.
- Flexible and reliable.
- Able to believe in what she is doing.
- Down to earth.
- Tolerant and understanding of ethical, spiritual and cultural differences.
- Be willing to share experiences.
- Be a good team member.
What Are the Benefits?
- Support women in sustaining breastfeeding
- Helps to normalise breastfeeding
- Increase breastfeeding rates and improve mothers' experiences
- Build a strong, local network of breastfeeding mothers
Want More Information?
We'd like to hear from you if you're interested in finding out more about being a breastfeeding peer supporter. Even if you're a little unsure of the type of training or level of commitment involved, call or email us so we can have an informal chat with you.
- Anne - 01277 233432 or Katie - 01277 631183
If you know of other mothers who might like to join the training course, please pass on the details on this webpage!
- Download Breastfeeding Peer Supporter flyer (PDF 87 Kb)
- Description of breastfeeding peer supporter training programme, as well as contact information