Luci is currently a student NCT doula. An important part of training for this role is that Luci is required to support a woman or couple through birth with the support of the NCT doula tutors. Your baby needs to be due between mid- February and mid-April 2023 for you to be able to consider asking Luci to be your birth doula. The fee for Luci to support you has been appropriately set to recognise the fact that she is a student.
Would you like Lucia to be your doula?
Email: email@example.com or call 07940753740.
Luci is based in Plymouth, Devon where she lives with her husband and their two children. She is available to support parents in Plymouth, Plympton and Plymstock.
Luci’s passion for pregnancy, birth and beyond ignited whilst she was pregnant with her first child. However, she felt she was not prepared enough for birth and the early days of parenthood with her first. Because of this Luci decided that when her second child was to be born (17 months later) she would have her friend present during her labour. Luci felt that the presence of her friend (who is educated in perinatal practice), made a huge positive difference to her experience of labour the second time around; thereby solidifying her want to be a doula. So Luci can support parents like her friend had supported her and her husband.
She facilitates NCT Antenatal Courses and has gained experience working with parents as a result. Besides the Doula pathway Luci is also doing the Postnatal and Yoga for Pregnancy pathway, to strengthen her doula work.
Luci is very creative and in her down time enjoys drawing and taking photos. She has a Level 3 Extended Diploma in Photography and hopes to one day offer her services as a birth photographer, so that she may capture the moments during and after birth.
Practical support - during labour such as creating a safe space in whichever location the pregnant woman decides to labour in. This can help lay the foundations for oxytocin to flow smoothly.
Emotional support - antenatally, during labour and post-birth for both the pregnant woman and her partner/birthing partner. This can include affirmations, breathing techniques and providing clarity in order to help parents feel confident in making their own informed decisions. Most importantly, a non-judgemental, listening ear for any concerns that will be met with compassion and understanding.
Physical support - demonstrated during pregnancy and hands on during labour such as massage. Shoulders to lean on, (or cry on) and support to move around.
Luci can also provide evidence-based information on feeding and help with initiating breastfeeding post birth if that is your feeding preference.
- Level 4 of NCT Birth and Beyond Degree (2022).
- Certificate of Higher Education & Qualified NCT Antenatal Practitioner.
- NCT Doula Student 2022-23.
- NCT Postnatal Student 2022-23.
- NCT Yoga Foundations & Yoga for Pregnancy Student 2022-23.
Lucia will provide support by:
- Meeting you two or three times before your due date, to go through any questions or worries you may have and begin to build a relationship with you.
- Working with you to discuss your birth preferences, go over any concerns and explore your birth/birthplace options.
- Being on call for you 24/7 (in the event you go into labour sooner than expected) from 37 weeks gestation.
- Staying with you for the duration of your birth and continuing to be present with you for up to three hours post birth to help with settling in and offering support
- with initiating breastfeeding should that be your feeding preference.
- Being available via text message in between meetings in order to address any immediate concerns.
- Meeting with you (preferably before 6 weeks) to talk through your birth and offer signposting for settling into parenthood.
- Signposting you to local support groups and evidence-based information.