There is plenty of government financial support available to all families with children living in the UK. Below is a list of what sort of help is available. Visit for lots more information.

Child benefit
Extra help if you have a new baby, children under the age of 16, or children under 20 who are in full-time education or approved training. Child Benefit is a tax-free payment that you can claim for your child. It is usually paid every four weeks but can sometimes be paid weekly. There are separate rates payable for each child. The payment can be claimed by anyone who qualifies, whatever their income or savings. If you're responsible for a child, you can normally get Child Benefit for them - even if you're not their parent. There are two separate amounts, with a higher amount for your eldest (or only) child. You get £20.30 a week for your eldest child and £13.40 a week for each of your other children.

Tax credits
If you're responsible for at least one child or young person, you may qualify for Child Tax Credit. If you work, but are on a low income, you may qualify for Working Tax Credit. You can often get both types of tax credits. They aren't taxable. Nine out of ten families with children qualify for tax credits, but you don't need to have children to claim. You may also qualify if you are working and on a low income. Visit the website to find out about getting tax credits and how you can get help with your childcare costs. There is a quick questionnaire that you can do to see if you qualify.

Financial help for lone parents
If you are bringing up a child as a lone parent there is a wide range of financial help available to you. This applies whether you are working, looking for a job or currently unable to work. Visit the website to find out what you are entitled to.

Financial help for families on a low income
If you are on a low income you may be able to get financial help, depending on your circumstances.

Getting help with preschool costs
If you are on a low income you may be able to get financial help, depending on your circumstances.All three and four year olds in England are entitled to a free early learning place. If you are a working parent, lone parent or a student you may be entitled to extra help with the costs of early learning and childcare.

Financial help for parents in education
If you are a student with children, or a parent who wishes to go back into education, there is plenty of financial help available to you.

Courses & workshops

NCT Antenatal course

Find out more

NCT Antenatal refresher course

Find out more

Local activities and meetups

NCT Membership
Support NCT Charity by becoming a member
Excited couple holding pregnancy test
Sign up to our weekly Pregnancy & Baby Guide