Study to become an NCT antenatal teacher and join our expert team guiding new parents through the most amazing journey of their lives.
Becoming an antenatal teacher
Our Foundation Degree Birth and Beyond, in collaboration with the University of Worcester, is the only university-accredited qualification which allows you to become NCT antenatal teacher and lead NCT antenatal courses.
Once qualified you will hold the highly-respected NCT Licence-to-Practise. You’ll be insured by us and also receive free on-going training and assessment to help keep your knowledge and skills up to date.
Your training will equip you to support every one of the parents you meet in the very best way for them. You will:
- Develop a deep knowledge of pregnancy, the physiology of birth, and the needs of new-borns and their parents.
- Help new parents gain confidence in making the decisions about childbirth and early parenthood that feel right for them.
- Support your clients to form a supportive group; many will remain friends for a long time after their course.
- Be self-employed so you can choose what antenatal courses to deliver, working just locally or further afield. You'll also be supported by our hassle-free online booking and payment systems.
What will I earn?
Before you start your new life as an NCT antenatal teacher we want you to be confident it’s the right choice for you – personally, professionally and financially.
Along with the everlasting thanks of countless new parents, you’ll be paid on an hourly basis, varying according to where you work and the experience you build up.
- Exactly how much you earn will depend on the size of the area you choose to work across, plus the length and number of courses you deliver.
- For example, in 2016 the average number of antenatal courses that practitioners chose to deliver was 6.3, (average 13.5 hours long); although our busier practitioners typically delivered around 35 NCT courses each.
- Dependent on experience, outside London the hourly rate for an NCT Antenatal teacher is between £18.60 and £30.20 an hour. In London, the rate can be between £24.00 and £39.10 an hour.
What will I study?
You will need to be accepted into our Foundation Degree Birth and Beyond and have successfully completed the level 4 modules of the foundation degree course.
You can choose to undertake the antenatal teacher modules at level 5 which will enable you to become an NCT antenatal teacher. There is also the option to choose other specialism pathways to complete your foundation degree and practise in those areas as well.
How to apply
For further information, including how to apply, see Foundation Degree Birth and Beyond.