Our university-accredited qualification allows you to work as a breastfeeding counsellor in the community as well as a specialist contributor on our NCT Signature antenatal courses.
Breastfeeding is the option many new mums choose for feeding their baby – whether exclusively or in combination with formula. But for many reasons, it may not always be the easiest option. That’s where NCT breastfeeding counsellors come in.
Offering often vital practical and emotional support, they are an essential part of the support we offer to new mums (and their partners). They are also available to anyone who wants to talk about breastfeeding – including partners and grandparents.
Becoming a breastfeeding counsellor
You can train to be a paid breastfeeding counsellor through the Foundation Degree Birth and Beyond with the University of Worcester. Once you’ve completed your training you’ll be a key member of our specialist team of NCT breastfeeding counsellors.
Your training includes specialist modules on working with and leading groups so you can facilitate paid breastfeeding sessions on NCT Signature Antenatal courses and at postnatal groups, such as Baby Café.
You might also spend some time (paid) taking calls on our national feeding helpline and provide voluntary support in your local community.
For many of your clients your work will be life-changing. While you don’t need any medical experience to train we believe the ability to empathise with parents is vital, so to enter our breastfeeding counsellor training you need to have breastfed your own child for about six months.
During your course you can choose to add to your training to deliver other NCT antenatal and postnatal services.
Once qualified you will hold the highly-respected NCT Licence-to-Practise. Plus, you’ll be insured by us and also receive on-going training and development to help keep your knowledge and skills up to date. You will:
- Use our evidence-based approach to work with new mums and families, in small groups, at events, face-to-face, over the phone or by email.
- Use your counselling and support skills to work through physical and emotional issues to help parents make decisions about how to feed their babies.
- And because you’ll be self-employed you can choose where and when you work.
What will I earn?
Before you start your new life as an NCT breastfeeding counsellor we want you to be confident it’s the right choice for you – personally, professionally and financially.
Along with the everlasting thanks of countless new parents, along with a proportion of voluntary work, you’ll be paid on an hourly basis, varying according to where you work and the experience you build up.
NCT breastfeeding counsellors choose the sessions they would like to run on NCT Signature courses or at a Baby Café, on a self-employed basis. They might also take on other paid or voluntary work.
- Exactly how much you earn with us will depend on the size of the area you choose to work across, plus the length and number of session you deliver.
- For example, in 2016 the average number of NCT sessions that counsellors chose to deliver was eight, (average three hours each); although our busier counsellors typically delivered around 37 NCT sessions each. We’ll also pay you for the support you provide to our helpline.
- Dependent on experience, outside London the hourly rate for an NCT Antenatal teacher is between £18.60 and £30.20 an hour. In London, the rate can be between £24.00 and £39.10 an hour.
What will I study?
You will need to be accepted into our Foundation Degree Birth and Beyond and have successfully completed the level 4 year modules of the foundation degree course.
You can choose to undertake the necessary modules at level 5 which will enable you to become a breastfeeding counsellor. They are:
- Developing knowledge as a breastfeeding counsellor
- Developing skills as a breastfeeding counsellor
You can also choose other specialism pathways to complete your foundation degree and practise in those areas as well.
How to apply
For further information, including how to apply, see Foundation Degree Birth and Beyond.