Getting support when you need it is important. Feeding isn't always straightforward and it can take time to feel confident. The great news is that NCT is here to support you.
We offer evidence-based, parent-centred and non-judgemental support with:
- Preparing to feed your baby
- Expressing breastmilk
- Mixed feeding
- Formula feeding
- Introducing solid foods
- Stopping breastfeeding
There are a number of ways you can find support…
NCT Baby Café
NCT Baby Café is a free drop-in, led by an NCT Breastfeeding Counsellor, which any parent or expectant parent can come along to for support with feeding your baby. When visiting a NCT Baby Café you can expect:
- To be made welcome in a relaxed, safe, child-friendly environment
- For the service to be free, inclusive and accessible
- To be supported by a qualified NCT Breastfeeding Counsellor to make decisions that are right for you
- To receive support, encouragement and reliable information – whether getting ready to breastfeed, establishing breastfeeding, continuing breastfeeding, expressing, mixed feeding, formula feeding, introducing solids, stopping breastfeeding and beyond
- To meet other parents
- To be signposted to other services including health professionals, local community support and other NCT services and groups
Use the postcode search to see if there is a local NCT Baby Café running near you.
NCT Infant Feeding helpline
When it comes to feeding - breastfeeding, bottle feeding or a bit of both - we know how physically and emotionally challenging it can be. It can take time to feel confident about feeding your baby. If you need information, support or just someone to talk to, give one of our trained Breastfeeding Counsellors a call. The line is open every day from 8am to midnight, including bank holidays.
0300 330 0700
Further support from NCT
This website contains lots of evidence-based information about feeding your baby.
Online feeding support videos
- NCT video – How do I know I’m feeding my baby in the right way?
- NCT video – How often should I breastfeed and long should a breastfeed last?
- NCT video – How do I know I’m holding my baby in the right position to breastfeed?
- NCT video – How do I know if my baby is getting enough milk?
- NCT video – How do I express breastmilk?
- NHS video – How do I know if my baby is properly latched?
- NHS video – How to breastfeed twins
- Best Beginnings – From bump to breastfeeding videos
- Start4life – breastfeeding help with latching on animation
- UNICEF – UK mother’s talking about their breastfeeding experiences
Other feeding support
- NHS Start for Life Breastfeeding
- National Breastfeeding helpline
- Breastfeeding Network
- Association of Breastfeeding Mothers
- La Leche League UK
- Best Beginnings: their vision is to give every child in the UK the best start.
- Bliss is a special care baby charity that provides vital support and care to premature and sick babies across the UK.
- Cleft Lip and Palate Association has information on breastfeeding babies with a cleft lip or a cleft palate.
- Start4Life online guide to baby breastfeeding positions.
- The Breastfeeding Networks Drugs in breastmilk service provides advice and information about the use of drugs and medication when breastfeeding.
- The Lactation Consultants of Great Britain has a search facility to help you find a lactation consultant local to you.
- NHS Choices has detailed information about how to breastfeed, positioning and attachment and breastfeeding problems.
- The Twins and Multiple Births Association (TAMBA) has information about feeding twins and triplets.
- UNICEF – The Baby friendly initiative. Transforming healthcare for babies, their mothers and families in the UK. Also has information about Tongue-tie and breastfeeding.
- The UK Association for Milk Banking has information about using donated breast milk if your baby is premature or ill and how to donate breast milk.
Find local feeding support
Enter your postcode to find a local event near you.