What is a Nearly New Sale?
An opportunity to buy and sell good quality maternity, baby, and children’s clothing, equipment and toys.
When and where?
Twice a year (spring and autumn) at Thorngate Halls. See website for details. What age group? Maternity through to 5 years old
Do I have to be a member of the NCT?
No. You do not have to be a member to buy or sell at a NNS, but NCT members do get priority shopping.
Is there an entry fee?
Entry fee is £1 per adult. Members get into the sale 15 minutes before the rest of the queue.
Can I bring the whole family?
The sale gets very busy and while we don’t restrict entry, you’ll find it easier if small children, babies, and buggies are left at home.
How can I pay?
We accept cash and cheques and payment cards. Cash is preferred.
Can I return items?
We endeavour to ensure all items are of good quality. We cannot offer refunds.
Will there be refreshments?
Sorry, no. The venue will not allow us to provide refreshments. There will be seating for mothers who need to feed their babies.
What can I sell?
Up to 40 items of Baby, children's, maternity clothes and shoes. Unlimited items for equipment, books, toys and DVDs.
Are there any items I cannot sell?
For legal reasons we cannot accept a number of items, and there are restrictions on others. The sellers’ packs give full details, but the following lists some of the items that we cannot sell:
• car seats (even as part of travel system), bike seats, crash helmets, riding hats;
• mains electrical items (toys or equipments). • We can sell battery-powered items but it must be demonstrably working
• children’s furniture, stands for carry cots, mattresses (except for travel cots);
• breast pumps or feeding bottles (anything with a bottle);
• hand-knitted clothes or toys, or clothes with drawstrings at the neck;
• Pedal cycles
How do I sell?
First you have to purchase a registration pack. The pack includes:
• Your unique seller number
• Full details on what can and cannot be sold
• Quality guidelines
• Presentation guidelines
• Labels (you will need safety pins to attach to clothing, and masking tape to attach to other items)
Seller packs are available now for the October 2016 Nearly New Sale:
How much is a sellers pack and why do I have to pay for it?
I’ve realised I can’t sell. Are the Packs refundable?
I’d like to donate my items as I don’t have time to label everything / don’t want any money for them.
We don’t usually accept this as it means that someone else has to do the work and we’re all busy! However, single valuable items that fall within our guidelines might be accepted, please talk to the sale organiser.
I have bought a pack, what do I do now?
• Follow the quality and presentation guidelines.
• Mark up your items
• Deliver them to the venue on the morning of the sale by 8.30am
Do I have to stay and lay the items out?
No, your items will be quality checked and laid out by the volunteers.
Can I volunteer?
Yes, we are always looking for more volunteers. Volunteers also get to priority shop. You can volunteer by emailing
What happens to unsold items?
All unsold items must be collected by 2pm. We cannot accept donated items.
When do I get my money?
We aim to process all of the paperwork as soon as possible and you should have your cheque within a week.
Do I get all of the money?
The NCT takes 30% on the selling price of all individual items with the exception of items priced £25 or over. For these a flat rate of £5 is charged.
• Price realistically.
• Make sure games / puzzles are complete and securely packaged
• Make sure that DVDs play.
• Make sure price labels are filled in and securely attached.