The new year is often a time for resolutions and positive plans for the year ahead. Here we provide some suggestions for things to think about over the coming months.
At the start of the year, many of us think about positive changes for the year ahead and things we would like to do more (or less!) of. Eating more healthily and getting fit are usually top of the list but everyone has different goals.
As a parent or parent-to-be, you will probably have plenty of plans in mind but if you need a little inspiration, here are a few ideas.
1. Talk to your baby: your baby will learn huge amounts from you so all talk and play between you and your child is valuable. Why not have a go at different ways of communicating with your baby or toddler?
3. Review your finances: starting a family can be expensive with many parents experiencing increased pressure on their finances. It makes sense to find out what benefits you’re entitled to, such as tax credits or child benefit.
4. Think about your work/life balance: you are entitled to request flexible working hours and this could be one way to improve how you manage your time at home and at work.
5. Give something back: have you ever thought about volunteering for NCT? It’s a great opportunity to use and develop your skills and experience while making a difference to other parents like you.
6. Learn how to save a life: develop your first aid skills and confidence to deal with an accident or emergency by attending a Baby First Aid course.
7. De-clutter your home: is your house full of unwanted toys and clothes or ones that your child/ren have outgrown? Why not find out how to become an NCT Nearly New Sale seller?
8. Get ready for birth: if you're pregnant, there are many ways to prepare for labour and birth, reading about your options and what might happen can be really helpful.
9. Make new friends: meet other parents in your local area and find out what NCT branch events are happening on your doorstep.
10. Don't be afraid to ask for support: becoming a parent will have its highs and lows and talking about how you’re feeling and sharing any concerns can make a huge difference. Call our helpline for practical and emotional support in all areas of pregnancy, birth and early parenthood – 0300 330 0700.
You might find attending one of NCT's Early Days groups helpful as they give you the opportunity to explore different approaches to important parenting issues with a qualified group leader and other new parents in your area.
Make friends with other parents-to-be and new parents in your local area for support and friendship by seeing what NCT activities are happening nearby.
You might also like to try one of our Yoga for Pregnancy or Relax, Stretch and Breathe classes, which aim to help improve your physical and emotional wellbeing, as well as feel more confident and positive.