In This Section
NCT Perspective: preparing parents for birth and the transition to parenthood
Perspective is NCT’s FREE quarterly journal on preparing parents for birth and early parenthood. It covers research, policy and service development relating to a wide range of topics including pregnancy, preparation for labour and birth, infant feeding and the transitition to parenthood for mums and dads with a baby or toddler. It promotes and shares the expertise and participative approach of NCT practitioners, as well as the work of health professionals, service user representatives and community volunteers.
The latest issue of Perspective is available here.
Many of the individual articles from Perspective are available as individual pdfs under the Research section menu on the right of this page, and can be downloaded and distributed or printed.
Perspective, March 2017
The March 2017 issue of Perspective looks at the sensitive issue of breastfeeding and tooth decay in infants, with the experiences of mums talking with dentists about breastfeeding, a review of evidence, and the perspective of a consultant paediatric dentist.
Other highlights include the experiences of lesbian co-mothers upon becoming parents, and the possibility for mums who have not given birth to breastfeed. We also look at therapies that help build the relationship between babies and parents, the question of what language to use with parents and carers, feedback from parents about their first antenatal session, and training opportunities.
Working with parents
• Words that empower, by Kathryn Kelly
• Relactation and induced lactation, by Marianne Kaufmann
• Supporting the parent-infant relationship through Video Interactive Guidance, by Deborah James
• Helping parents and carers with Parent-Infant Psychotherapy, by Ailsa Lamont and Jinny Sumner
Service development and policy
• World Breastfeeding Trends Initiative, UK, by Patricia Wise
• The first session – what do parents tell us? by Helen Allmark
Evidence made easy
• Mothers’ experiences of talking with dentists about breastfeeding, by Hannah Lynes
• Breastfeeding and dental health, by Joanna Doherty
• Treating children with decayed teeth: a dentist’s point of view, by Claire Stevens
• Promoting positive parent-infant relationships, by Annie Raff
• What issues do lesbian co-mothers face in their transition to parenthood, by Katherine Walker
• Become an NCT supervisor, by Ann Parker
Sign up to our mailing list
Receive our FREE quarterly e-newsletter containing the latest NCT Perspective journal issue by e-mailing us: email@example.com
Follow us on Twitter
Find the latest research, policy and news on preparing parents for birth and parenthood here.
Contribute to NCT Perspective
If you would like to write or peer review for NCT Perspecive, please e-mail the Editor of NCT Perspective: firstname.lastname@example.org