NOTE NO SESSIONS CURRENTLY RUNNING see our facebook page for video library of slings
Babywearing is the practise of wearing or carrying your baby or child in some form of sling/carrier. Babywearing is something that has been practised for centuries long before buggies or prams came along!
Benefits of babywearing include:
• Mothers' oxytocin is increased through physical contact with the infant, leading to a more intimate maternal bond, easier breastfeeding and better care, thus lowering the incidence of postpartum depression and psychosomatic illness in the mother.
• Infants who are carried are calmer because all of their primal/survival needs are met. The caregiver can be seen, heard, smelled, touched, tasted, provide feeding and the motion necessary for continuing neural development, gastrointestinal and respiratory health and to establish balance (inner ear development) and muscle tone is constant.
• Infants are more organized. Parental rhythms (walking, heartbeat, etc.) have balancing and soothing effects on infants.
• Infants are "humanized" earlier by developing socially. Babies are closer to people and can study facial expressions, learn languages faster and be familiar with body language. • Independence is established earlier.
• Attachment between child and caregiver is more secure.
• Decreases risk of positional plagiocephaly ("flat head syndrome") caused by extended time spent in a car seat and by sleeping on the back. Sleeping on the back is recommended to decrease the risk of SIDS. Cranial distortion resulting from non-vehicular time in car seats has shown to be more severe than in children who develop plagiocephaly from back-lying on a mattress.
There are many different types of slings or carriers on the market these days it can be quite confusing, some are simple wraps and some have clips and buckles. Rather than buying one and it not quite working resigned to the back of the cupboard why not borrow one, two or more from us to see which works best for you and your child.
From newborn to toddler and beyond - we have a selection or slings or carriers as they are known as part of our branch sling library to loan out so you can try a few different types at low cost before spending money on buying your own at just £8 for 2 week hire, or £15 for 4 wks.
We are also able to hire out stretchy newborn slings (the caboos & stretchy wraps) for a 4 month hire period for £25, saving you buying one as often stretches are used up to around 4-5mths. Try it for 4 wks for free as part of our newborn hire scheme then extend the hire for additional 3 months for £25, hiring for 4 months in total.
To hire come along to our sling meet held alongside "Milk" our feeding support group held 2nd and 4th tues each month 1-2.30pm at St Pauls Church, Dorking, term time only, all welcome there is no need to be an NCT member or having attended NCT courses.
If you have any specific slings you wish to try then do email as we only take a selection of the library slings along or they maybe hired out already. We are able to help you with your own sling/carrier if we hold it or similar in the sling library, we also ask for a donation to cover costs if we help you rather than you hiring.
8th & 22nd Sept
10th & 24th Nov
SlumberRoo do an incentive scheme also for libraries we get 10% and you save 10% using code SL10-DORKINGNCT Click here to visit SlumberRoo Also SouthEast Slings we have a code for 15% off and get return to spend on buying items for the sling library
As well as others so do get in touch if you have hired and wish to purchase a sling ie connecta, ergo etc
- Ergo Adapt
- Ergo 360 omni
- Ergo 360 air mesh
- Ergo Aura stretchy wrap
- Boba Bamboo Stretchy Wrap x 2
- Izmi Stretchy Wrap x 5
- Joy & Joe Stretchy Wrap
- Calin Bleu Stretchy Wrap x 3
- Close Parent Caboo (multiple)
- Close Parent Caboo lite (multiple)
- Tula Toddler
- Tula Standard
- Tula Free to Grow
- Connecta Infant
- Izmi Baby Carrier, & breeze
- Boba 4G
- Mamaruga Zensling x 4
- Beco Gemini
- Integra Solar
- Integra standard
- Close Parent DXGo
- Mamaruga Zebulo x 2
Alternatively email email@example.com to arrange a hire outside of library sessions (there is an additional fee for this), bookings taken ahead for example if you have a holiday or time you wish to use a carrier but do not want to purchase one.
NEW FREE HIRE SCHEME launched 2018
We are proud to be able to offer free sling hire to those with a child under 6 weeks old for 4 wks. This is open to all who live in Mole Valley and only stipulation is that we ask for proof of your address. We then offer reduced rates for our newborn sling hires for 4months.
- Blois, M, MD. (2005). Babywearing: The Benefits and Beauty of This Ancient Tradition. Pharmasoft Publishing.
- "Regulation of anxiety during the postpartum period", Lonstein, Joseph S., Frontiers in Neuroendocrinology, Volume 28, Issues 2-3, August–September 2007, Accessed 2009-05-09
- Morris, D. (1992). What Comforts a Baby? In Babywatching (pp 80-82). New York: Crown Publishers Inc.
- Kitzinger, Sheila. (1989). The Crying Baby. Penguin Books.
- Anisfeld, E., Casper, V., Nozyce, M., & Cunningham, N. (Oct., 1990). Does Infant Carrying Promote Attachment? An Experimental Study of the Effects of Increased Physical Contact on the Development of Attachment. Child Development, Vol. 61, No. 5, 1617-1627.
- Littlefield, Timothy R. "Car Seats, Infant Carriers, and Swings: Their Role in Deformational Plagiocephaly," Journal of Prosthetics & Orthotics 15, no. 3 (2003): 102-106.