The Brentwood Branch is run solely by volunteers, most of whom are mums, dads, carers of young children themselves. Without this amazing bunch of volunteers, we would not be able to put on any of the events that we do or support local families. We have many volunteer roles available within the Brentwood Branch.
If you are able to give just an hour or two each month, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the benefits of volunteering and some examples of ways you can help, please read on...
There is no bigger change in life than the transition from full time work to becoming a new mum. Of course you love your bundle of joy and you wouldn’t be without them for the world. But for many women there is a shock in the transition from their productivity at work, to barely managing to get dressed, fold the laundry and empty the dishwasher. Plus the combination of the crying and the sleep deprivation can start to drive you nuts. The events and activities that we set up within the NCT seek to provide social networks to help new parents explore their new roles together, sharing information and providing support. Volunteering to help the NCT reach out to other parents can provide you with further opportunity:
- To feel that you are still contributing in some way.
- To have a sense of purpose.
- To make new friends.
- To do something that is completely baby friendly.
- Every meeting is between mums, and babies can come along too.
We are looking for a new cohort of volunteers to ‘help out’. No particular skills are necessary, just a desire to help! This may be simply:
- To come to the next baby welcome event and help introduce people.
- To make a cake for an event.
- To write an article for our newsletter, or format a page or two.
- To go along to antenatal classes to share NCT Brentwood Branch information.
- To go for a pram walk and invite others to join you via our facebook/twitter pages.
- To suggest what would suit you and your group of friends.
- To help pack away the unsold items at the Nearly New Sale.
Experience tells us we need twice the number of volunteers than you would have thought due to inevitable last minute illnesses, feeding needs etc. Please, please, let us know what you would be prepared to do by emailing email@example.com. If we can free up some of the existing committee members time on these little things, we can spend that time reaching out to more local parents and extending our support services.
- Many of the roles can be shared between 2 people, so rope in a friend and it will be more fun.
- Can you come along to any of our parties (1-2 a year) or Baby Welcome (3-4 a year) and help out? From setting the room up, clearing away, serving refreshments, baking a cake.... many hands make light work. Contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pram Walk Hosts
- We are looking for a team of mums who are willing to join the rota for being a pram walk host. The role involves turning up at Thorndon Park once a week in the summer and hosting a 45 gentle walk around Thorndon Park, and staying for coffee and a chat afterwards. The more hosts we have the less frequent your commitment.
- We meet on the 3rd Monday of every month at 8pm to discuss what's going on and have a general catch up and chat. The secretary's role is to take minutes at the meeting and then distribute to the team afterwards.
- We aim to send an email each month to all members and course attendees to update on activities, particularly in between the newsletters. We download the new members from a Head Office database called CARE and use MailChimp to send the mailings. The membership co-ordinator is the only role that has access to member contact details and therefore is also asked to answer member queries.