Beckenham & Borders
Welcome to the Beckenham & Borders Branch
We support young families and new or expecting parents across Beckenham & surrounding area, helping make the transition to parenthood as smooth and enjoyable as possible.
If you want to connect to others in your local community, gain support and advice, do get in touch. Please also check our Events page or Facebook group for more information on our upcoming events and like us to see all our news and updates.
"Happy Mondays" Playgroup
Happy Mondays is the NCT run playgroup open to all, run by volunteer parents, for parents and children in Beckenham and the surrounding area.
Playgroup runs every Monday 10 - 11.30am (during school term times) at Beckenham Methodist Church, Bromley Road on the corner of Bevington Road, Beckenham.
We're a friendly and welcoming bunch, you don't need to be an NCT member and there is no waiting list, just a limit of 45 children per session - so please get there early.
Price: Under 1 = £1; Over 1 = £1.50; Maximum £2.50 per family
Includes tea, coffee and biscuits for adults and squash, water and snacks for the kids. Donations are always welcome. We have an area for newborns and crawlers as well as lots of toys, dressing up and books for the older children, plus a singsong at the end. Please join our lovely little group and get your week off to a good start!
These are small informal groups hosted by an NCT member in their home, bringing together new mums with babies up to a few months old. It's a great opportunity to have a coffee and some cake, share experiences with other women and make friends locally in a warm and supportuve environment. Please get in touch with Grace for further information.
Next Baby Group
An informal group for second/subsequent time round parents, who meet at each others’ homes with their children on a weekly basis. Venue and days/times vary each week so please contact Grace for more information.
Dads & Little Ones
On the first Saturday of the month (during term time) 10:30-12:30 at St Mark’s Church Hall, Braemar Gardens, West Wickam BR4 0JN there is a group for Dads to bring their little ones together. Refreshments and a bacon sandwich are included.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org
Nearly New Sales
Our Nearly New ticketed and Table Top Sales are an opportunity for parents to sell/buy good quality nearly new items of clothes, toys and equipment. Baby items are often in good condition as they only used for a very short time, so the sales are a great opportunity to recycle, enable sellers to make some money for their items, buyers to get some bargains as well as raise funds for the Branch. Win! Win!
We feel that there is a massive need for support for families in the early days of breastfeeding and on throughout their feeding experience, to weaning. Our Branch covers a wide area with many young families and the need for support is huge.
Whether you are pregnant, a new parent, an established feeder or coming to the end of your breastfeeding time, Breastfeeding Counsellors, peer supporters and other parents who have also been on the journey will be there to support.
We run two NCT Baby Cafe Local sessions on Monday afternoons in Beckenham and on Friday afternoons in Penge.
Monday afternoons 13:00-15:00 (from 16th Feb 2015)
Neighbourhood Church, Cromwell Road, Beckenham, Kent, BR3 4LW
Email: email@example.com for further information
Friday afternoons 13:00-15:00
Penge East Community Centre, Station Road, London, SE20 7BE
Alternatively, here are some other local breastfeeding drop-in groups you could attend:
10:00-12:00 - Blenheim Children Centre, Blenheim Road, Orpington, BR6 9BH
13:00-14:00 - Orpington Methodist Church, Sevenoaks Road, Orpington, BR6 9JH
10:00-11.30 - Bromley United Reformed Church, Widmore Road, Bromley, BR1 1RY
10:00-11.30 - Community Vision, Woodbine Grove, Penge, SE20 8UX
13:00-15:00 - Group Room, 1st floor, Beckenham Beacon, 379 Croydon Road, Beckenham, BR3 3QL
We also run other events such as children’s hairdressing, Cheeky Monkeys Parties, Bake Club and many more! Just keep an eye on our Events and Facebook pages for more information.
Volunteering vacancies (non-NCT Members welcome!)
Would you like to meet other parents, extend your local network and get involved in your community through volunteering for the NCT?
None of our events would be possible without our dedicated team of volunteers, but we are always very happy to welcome newcomers who would like to help out.
Here’s a (non-exhaustive) list of what we need helpers for - and we will be updating this regularly as we introduce new events - so do let get in touch if you’d like to join one of our lovely teams!
For some events (Happy Mondays & NNS for example) we have a rota and the tasks are always shared equally between everyone.
Remember, you don’t have to be a member of the NCT to volunteer and equally, we welcome volunteers from all backgrounds (grandparents, childminders, aunts/uncles, older siblings, childcare students – you name it!) so please don’t be shy and get in touch – we’d love to hear from you.
“Happy Mondays” Playgroup (see above for more details)
We need volunteers from 9:30am to come and help us set-up
We work on a rota basis and as a volunteer, we would require you to take turns in:
· Set up: putting all the toys out and generally getting the hall ready for 10am opening
· Kitchen duties: prepare the tea urn & lay out coffee, teas, drinks for children, biscuits, snacks & mugs. Collect cups, wash up & tidy away by finishing time
· Door: Welcome everyone, collect entry fee & ensure everyone has signed in
· Tidying up: 11-ish everyone helps (including the children) to tidy up all toys into boxes
· Singing: If you just have a sense of humour and don’t take yourself too seriously, we’d love to have you lead the singing! The kids love it and it’s always a giggle, however some of us are shy souls, so if you really, really, really don’t want to lead the nursery rhymes at the end, you don’t have to! Just let us know and it will be duly noted
· Toys back in the cupboard: we have a small cupboard in the hall, where everything needs to be stored away and locked at the end. If you’re a fan of the The Cube, you’ll love the challenge of fitting everything into the tiny cupboard, without pulling everything on your head!· Cleaning up at the end: ensure that the bins are checked and nothing nasty has been left in them (i.e nappies), run a broom over the floor, to clear up any squashed biscuits, breadsticks or spillages
If you’re already a regular, like what you read and think it could be something you could do whilst spending time with your child(ren) at playgroup, we’d love to hear from you! Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know.
We also have our own Facebook page, so come along and “like” us: https://www.facebook.com/ncthappymondays
Nearly New Sales (see above for dates):
As you can imagine, running the Nearly New Sales takes time and effort, so we are grateful for all offers of assistance. The kind of help we need can comprise:
· Pre-sale set up (typically Friday evening)
· Checking items are suitable for sale
· Unpacking goods and setting them out for display
· Setting up the hall for the sale
· Serving on the tills
· Providing refreshments for helpers and buyers
· Sorting and scanning labels
· Sorting unsold items after the sale
· Tidying and sweeping up after the sale
· Collecting/dropping off rails/items from/to storage facility (needs 1-2 strong people and an estate car/people carrier)
If you think that you can spare any time at all for any of these roles, we would love to hear from you: email@example.com
We need help with meeting & greeting, making tea & coffee, donations of cakes/biscuits and generally just lending a hand for a couple of hours at our weekly drop-in centres. Contact the team in Beckenham (Monday session)
Contact the team in Penge (Friday session)
Postnatal Teas & Next Baby Group
Please get in touch with Grace if you’d like to host a post-natal tea or Next Baby Group at your home.
Beckenham & Borders contacts
Tel: 0300 330 0700 | Email: Branch.BeckenhamAndBorders@nct.org.uk