Safety guidance for NCT Antenatal course sessions taking place in person has been developed in line with current guidance for UK nations and Islands, RCOG and RCM recommendations for pregnant women and in consultation with an independent health and safety advisor.
NCT Antenatal course safety guidance
To help keep you safe indoors, NCT will:
- Use venues where we can ensure rooms are adequately ventilated.
- Adjust seating and activities to enable people to maintain a safe social distance, if they choose.
Promote good hygiene practices during session activities and refreshment breaks.
Move sessions online if your course leader tests positive for COVID-19 but is well enough to teach.
Provide you with free, topic-based, online, catch-up sessions for any course sessions missed due to COVID-19 (and other reasons as per our Terms & Conditions).
To help keep everyone safe, you need to:
- Consider wearing a face covering in crowded spaces and when you are in close contact with others.
Be respectful and give other people space. People may feel anxious or be in a high-risk group.
Maintain good hand hygiene.
Attend your course session online if your course leader tests positive for COVID-19 (for 10 days*) or has close contact with someone with COVID-19 (for 5 days**).
If you test positive for COVID-19, please let your course leader know and do not attend an in-person antenatal course session for 10 days*. We can provide free, topic-based, online, catch-up sessions for you.
- If you develop symptoms of a respiratory infection such as COVID-19, please let your course leader know and take a lateral flow test if you can. If you test positive, please follow the above guidance. If you test negative but feel unwell, we can provide free, topic-based, online, catch-up sessions for you.
- If you have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, please let your course leader know and do not attend any in-person antenatal course sessions for 5 days**. If you do not have a temperature, feel well and are not showing any signs of COVID-19 infection, you can re-join the sessions from day 6. You must take a lateral flow test and only attend if this is negative. Please consider wearing a mask if you’re able to.
*This is in line with government guidance on avoiding meeting people at higher risk of becoming seriously unwell from a respiratory infection, including COVID-19, which includes those who are pregnant, for 10 days after a positive COVID-19 test result.
**NCT safety guidance asks parents and course leaders with a close contact who has tested positive for COVID-19 not to attend an in-person antenatal course session for 5 days. If they do not have a temperature, feel well and are not showing any COVID-19 symptoms, take a lateral flow test and only attend if the result is negative, and consider wearing a mask if they are able to. They can re-join in-person sessions from day 6.
Government guidance links:
Last updated 22nd May 2023