Use your experience as a mum to help others breastfeed.
This service is often commissioned by a Children's Centre or clinical commissioner. Peer support training builds support for mums by mums and is proven to improve breastfeeding rates within a community.
Three quarters of British mums who stopped breastfeeding in the first 6 months (and 90% of those who stopped in the first 2 weeks) would have liked to have continued for longer.
NCT Breastfeeding peer support training
NCT peer support training is delivered by NCT breastfeeding counsellors, qualified to Diploma level, who have all breastfed their babies.
We currently have over 300 counsellors across the UK, enabling us to offer you a service that is tailored to the needs of your area.
Our training packages
Our comprehensive, evidence-based service includes:
- flexible programmes to work with local mothers and their specific experiences
- enabling supporters to develop parent centred listening skills
- specific sessions for local health professionals to facilitate close working relationships with peer supporters
- working in partnership with health professionals to deliver local services
- regular ongoing contact and support for peer supporters and health professionals
- access to a referral system for mothers who need further support via our national helpline and local breastfeeding counsellors
Peer support training package A
This package will help you to develop a breastfeeding peer support network in your area. Qualified NCT counsellors will implement a peer support project structure which can then be managed by local health professionals.
- selection of peer supporters
- dedicated training sessions for local health professionals
- 20 hours of training and six follow up sessions for support and supervision
- evaluation and monitoring of trainees resulting in certification
- development of group materials
Fees based on a minimum group of 10 peer supporters - please contact us for costs and to discuss your needs.
Peer support training package B
This comprehensive package includes continued project management by qualified NCT counsellors and will enable you to develop a sustainable breastfeeding peer support network in your area.
As above plus:
trained peer supporters covered by NCT insurance policy
continued update and supervision sessions
continues support for the service from NCT as a national parenting organisation
Fees based on a minimum group of 10 peer supporters - please contact us for details and to discuss your needs.
There are numerous possibilities of career development pathways for peer supporters including a Breastfeeding Counselling Foundation Degree and then a BA Honours degree to become a breastfeeding tutor. Both qualifications are through NCT College and are accredited by the University of Worcester.
Our breastfeeding counsellors have completed a diploma, or foundation degree, in breastfeeding counselling through the University of Worcester. They have also undertaken peer support training and their skills include supporting all parents in their feeding decisions, providing specialist help with breastfeeding and facilitating training sessions.
Working closely with local health professionals, NCT has delivered programmes across England.
We're currently reviewing our peer support training. If you are an organisation or health professional interested in commissioning breastfeeding peer support in your area please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.